Monday, March 19, 2018

Beyond Measure by Jeremy Camp

Reviewed by Katie Hart
 
"Each song sparkles with excellence."
  
 
Jeremy Camp has ranked up an impressive line of accomplishments in the four years since his label debut in 2002: five Dove Awards (including Male Vocalist of the Year twice in a row), his past three studio albums certified gold, and nine #1 singles. Yet in his latest release shows his humbleness and gratefulness for where God has brought him. The title track proclaims, I know that I’ve been given more than beyond measure. I come alive when I see beyond my fears. I know that I’ve been given more than earthly treasure. I come alive when I’ve broken down and given You control.
As he thanks God for his beautiful life, he doesn’t mention the accolades and awards, but his family. After losing his wife to cancer when he was only 23 (his powerful story of hanging on to faith through loss spills out in the song “I Still Believe” in Stay), Jeremy married Adrienne (Adie) Liesching, formerly of Benjamin Gate. They now have two daughters, and Adie has recently released her own album, Don’t Wait.
Beyond Measure branches out past Jeremy’s earlier releases musically. While each song still has the signature style fans have come to love, with Beyond Measure he seems to have freed himself to experiment a little more. The album opens with a hard-hitting song of dedication in “Tonight,” then mellows out by the end to wrap up with the worshipful “Give You Glory” and the simple “Give Me Jesus.” The lyrics are as strong as ever: Sometimes I feel a fight to release the grip and trust that everything will be alright. It’s been so real to feel the peace that you start unfolding when I let things go. Jeremy wrote or co-wrote nearly every song, and Adie adds backing vocals to three of them.
It’s difficult to choose a favorite song from the mix of catchy beats and melodic tunes. Each time I settle on one, another reminds me of its delightful facets. But that’s one of Jeremy Camp’s trademarks – he doesn’t settle for a couple good singles, then pad the album with okay fillers. Each song sparkles with excellence, worthy of addition to any music lover’s collection.


 

No comments: