Friday, December 01, 2017

Ever had a friend you really trusted, one you could tell your deep dark secrets too? Imagine one day you find out they're spreading rumors about you behind your back. How does this make you feel? It probably makes you want to turn your back on the only friend you've ever had. But what would a true friend do? How would a true friend act? Some of your favorite Christian music artists dish out advice on what it means to be a real friend.

REBECCA ST. JAMES:

The first thing is to pray for great godly friends. I had friends back in Australia, but when we moved to America I was really lonely because I had just changed to a whole different country and a different culture. I prayed for two years for a best friend who would encourage me in my walk with God, and that we could have a deep strong bond. I've been best friends with the friend God gave in response to those prayers for years. She’s amazing. She’s married with four kids. We live completely different lives, but God knits us together so much.
Honesty is really important---being vulnerable with where you’re at and not trying to put up a front that says everything’s okay, when it’s not. Ask your friends to keep you accountable. I remember when I was lonely in my youth group for awhile there, and I didn’t have very many close friends. My parents would say, "You’ve gotta be a friend to have friends. Reach out. You can’t just expect people to come to you all the time." That was challenging to me.
There have definitely been times when a friend will tell me something in confidence, and I have to choose when I’m with other friends that know that person, whether or not I’m going to share the information or keep that person’s confidence. Those are the times in our lives when we’re tested in our loyalty to somebody. It's important to be faithful not gossip but be wise with our words and respectful of our friends.

1 comment:

C.J. Darlington said...

Love Rebecca's insights!