Saturday, December 02, 2017

In your face, on the bus, in the locker room or the neighborhood---there will always be bullies wherever you go. You may have felt the humiliating sting of being pushed around by a bully, or maybe you’ve even been one. Some of your favorite musicians have, too. Here are their personal stories and what you can do for yourself and others when faced with a bully.

MARK GRAALMAN (Sanctus Real):
I remember ganging up on this kid with my friends in the neighborhood, just picking on him and pushing him around until he would go home crying. Years later, since I've come to know the Lord, I know that God has forgiven me, but it still breaks my heart knowing that I hurt that kid. To this day he's dealing with extreme insecurities, and it's so sad knowing I was part of the reason why he hurts inside. I pray for the opportunity to see him again sometime and ask his forgiveness.
Chances are, if people aren’t sticking up for themselves, it's because they don't believe in themselves. If you show them respect, maybe they’ll find the confidence to stand up and not let someone walk all over them.
Memorize Prov. 3:26, and anytime a bully starts to push you around just recite it in your mind and believe that the Lord will be your confidence. The Holy Spirit will rise up inside you and give you the boldness to stand up to them, and the wisdom to do so in love.

MICHAEL TAIT (Newsboys):
I was bullied in junior high school. I think a lot of it had to do with how small I was; I was a little shy too. Bullies only pick on people they feel they can overpower. If you are physically bigger than someone’s bully, it would be cool to step in and speak up for him. Talk to the right people, like parents and teachers, about the best way to deal with the issue at hand. Try having real and rational conversations with the bully. Pray that God will convict the bully’s heart and that he’ll reconsider his behavior.

REBECCA ST. JAMES:

I remember a girl in school telling me a boy liked me and wanted to know if I would go out with him. She told me, “He’s waiting for an answer; you better go tell him.” I went up to this guy and said that I liked him, but I just wanted to be his friend and wasn’t interested in anything more. He looked at me with this blank expression. There had been no conversation about liking me whatsoever; it had been completely made up to make me look stupid! Guys have probably had this happen too, being set-up by their buddies in a humiliating way. Be friends with a diverse group of people. Be nice to everyone, including those who aren’t in the “cool cliques”. And as for the bullies - pray for them! 

No comments: